Bariatric Surgery Options

Bariatric Surgery Options

Once you have been determined to be a a candidate for bariatric surgery, we will discuss the treatment option that may be best for your needs and goals. The Citizens Bariatric Center performs the Gastric Bypass and the Sleeve Gastrectomy procedures with the laparoscopic technique (utilizing small incisions and medical instruments to minimize scarring and promote a quicker recovery). Permanent weight loss is accomplished by more than just surgery and Citizens Bariatric Center offers a comprehensive program including nutritional and psychological counseling, exercise options, and ongoing communications through our monthly support groups, Facebook and newsletter.

Interested in Bariatric Surgery? Find out if you’re a candidate and your next steps.>

  • gastric-bypassLaparoscopic Gastric Bypass – This is the most common procedure performed in the United States and consists of the stomach being surgically divided into two uneven sections with only 5% useable for food consumption. This procedure is performed through two tiny incisions, takes about two hours, and the average length of hospital stay is usually less than 48 hours. Patients see excellent results with many losing 65%-70% of their excess weight within one year.
  • sleeve-gastrectomyLaparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy – This procedure also allows the patient to feel full while consuming less food. Approximately 85% of the stomach is removed, leaving behind 15% in the shape of a sleeve. Sleeve gastrectomies are not reversible and are still relatively new procedures.
  • Revisional Bariatric Surgery – Sometimes revisional surgery is necessary, either for unsatisfactory weight loss or complications of the original procedure. Oftentimes, patients who had jejunoliel bypass or stapled gastroplaty (the first two weight-loss surgeries) require revisions due to poor design of these procedures. Roux-an-Y and LAP-BAND also require revision at times, in fact, for LAP-BAND the revision rate is about 10% in the first two years. Gastric bypass has a revision rate of about 5-10% after 5 years.