The Chest Pain Center at Citizens Medical Center
Heart attacks are the leading cause of death in the United States – when seconds count, experience matters. The Chest Pain Center at Citizens Medical Center was the first chest pain center in Crossroads accredited by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care (SCPC) and has maintained this accreditation along with other awards for high quality of care.
Admission to the Chest Pain Center
Chest pain centers and protocols in emergency rooms have reduced heart attack mortality rates by 35% by:
- Determining if a patient is having a heart attack within 10 minutes of arrival.
- Decreasing the time it takes to get the patient to the Cath Lab or operating room for interventional procedures if a heart attack is confirmed.
- Monitoring the patient for up to 24 hours to ensure the patient is stable before discharge if a heart attack is not confirmed at arrival.
Our highly trained Cardiologists and Cardiovascular Surgeons are on call 24 hours a day to respond to emergencies. Citizens Medical Center prides itself on the use of the latest diagnostic tools including:
- CT Angiography
- Nuclear Medicine Stress Tests
- Left and right heart catheterizations
If a patient is considered high-risk, interventional procedures are performed in one of our digitally-equipped Cardiac Catheterization Labs. The procedures include:
- Balloon Angioplasty
- Coronary Stent Placement
- Thrombectomy or Aspirations Catheters
- Permanent Pacemaker Placement
- Internal Cardioverter-Defibrillator Placement
- IVC filters
Citizens also performs a wide range of cardiothoracic and vascular procedures including:
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Valve Replacement Surgery
- Peripheral Vascular Surgery
- General Thoracic Surgery
- Carotid Surgery
Signs of Heart Attack
Signs and symptoms of a heart attack vary by individual and certain populations may not experience any chest discomfort (elderly, women, and diabetics). The major symptoms include:
- Chest discomfort
Symptoms that may occur with or without chest pain include:
- Shortness of breath Sweating
- Pain in neck, jaw, or between shoulder blades
- Pain in either arm
- Black out/syncopal episodes
Want to Know Your Risk?
Risk factors for heart attack and heart disease include:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Smoking Sedentary lifestyle
- Elderly > 65 years of age
Most of these risk factors are lifestyle choices that can be controlled or modified. Citizens Medical Center also offers comprehensive testing so you can know your numbers as well as your risk. For $125 you receive a panel of tests including Cholesterol, Triglycerides, High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein, Hemoglobin A1c, and Calcium Scoring. Additional tests are available.
If you have any of these risk factors, or questions regarding your cardiovascular health, schedule an appointment with one of our top-rated cardiologists today at (361) 573-0756. To get to know our cardiac physicians and other team members, click here.
Take our FREE 5-minute assessment to help estimate your personal risk.