With 3D mammography exams, Citizens Medical Center joins the ranks of leading breast centers around the world that have brought this important technology to the women in their communities. Women are the heart of their families and the gatekeepers for healthcare decisions. They want to know the healthcare facility they choose gives them access to the best and latest technology available. 3D mammography technology is a more accurate mammogram that detects 41% more invasive breast cancers. Diagnostic exams and biopsies are much more likely to be positive, compared with 2D mammography, making 3D mammography more effective. When treatment is earlier, costs are lower, outcomes are better and patients return to productivity sooner.
WHAT IS A GENIUS™ 3D MAMMOGRAPHY™ EXAM?
Conventional 2D mammography has limitations. The breast has overlapping layers of tissue and a 2D image of these layers can sometimes produce unclear results, false alarms, or cancer being missed. 3D mammography was developed to combat these limitations.
Genius 3D Mammography exams deliver a series of detailed breast images, allowing your doctor to better evaluate your breasts layer by layer. Genius 3D Mammography exams are FDA approved, and over 100 clinical studies have shown that by using this technology, doctors are able to screen for breast cancer with much greater accuracy—regardless of a woman’s age or breast density.
Greater accuracy means better breast cancer detection and a reduced chance of being called back for additional screenings.
DID YOU KNOW?
With the latest low dose software, a Genius 3D Mammography exam delivers a low dose of radiation, well within FDA guidelines, that is comparable to a 2D mammogram.
Clinical studies show what many doctors and hospitals already know—a Genius 3D Mammography exam is a much better way to screen for breast cancer.
In 2014 alone, more than 200,000 women were diagnosed with an invasive form of breast cancer. That’s why innovative screening technology that allows for better, earlier breast cancer detection is critical.
WHAT IT DOES
- Detects 41% more invasive breast cancers
- Reduces callbacks by up to 40%
- Benefits women of all ages and breast densities
WHAT IT MEANS
- For some women, this could mean an earlier diagnosis.
- For many women, this means being spared the emotional, practical, and economic toll of additional testing, including biopsies, when there could be nothing wrong.
- Any woman who is due to have a traditional mammogram can elect to have a Genius 3D Mammography exam. They are covered and paid for by Medicare, as well as a growing number of private insurers.
- The Genius 3D Mammography exam is superior to conventional 2D mammograms, which is why many women are switching. Since 2011, over 8 million women in the US have had a Genius 3D Mammography exam.
- The experience is comparable to a 2D mammogram. With the latest low dose software, the scan takes less than four seconds, and involves a low dose of radiation that’s comparable to conventional 2D exams and well below the safe level set by the FDA.